Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Early morning riser...

So, I'm up and blogging at the ripe hour of 6:10am because my little munchkin decided to play a game with the noises she can make with her mouth; it sounded a lot like a dying animal :) I woke up and came down to make her a bottle while simultaneously making a bubba for her sister (because I was sure she was awake too) only to find that by the time all milk products were ready for consumption the upstairs had become quiet! So here I sit actually enjoying some alone, blogging time before I hear them again. I haven't been blogging as much and that's been bothering me. I really like to keep fam and friends updated, but it seems like a lot has been going on around me lately that has taken my attention and energy. So, today marks the day that it's back to business as usual. Yesterday, Siobhan and her girls came over for our first visit since October! They were gone for so long and it was great to have them back. Aibha and Maddie don't seem nearly as different as the babies did since the last time we saw each other. It's that baby thing. They change so much from week to week; if you blink you will miss it. Siobhan and I were both marvelling at how fast this time around is going with our little ones. It's hard to believe Aisling is already 7 months old and that Grace is 4 months. I think we both harbor some sadness at the idea that this is the last baby. The last time to watch someone become their own little self, to grow hair, to find their fingers, to cut their first tooth, to want only their mom... It's interesting to me because when Maddie was about 6 months old I started to really know that I would want another baby sometime after she turned one and a half. I wonder if that feeling will hit me so strongly this time around? Right after we had Grace we said to each other "That's it." Well, mostly Gabe said that and I, having just undergone labor, was in total agreement. But, I love the idea that it really is totally unknown. For me, there's no way to really know when you're done having children. Even at the toughest times, they are the most amazing little beings. I'm not at the point where I would even consider more kids (don't get that message from this post); the labor is too fresh in my mind ;) Plus, Grace is amazing. I love her babyhood and want to relish it the way I did Maddie's. Two little girls feels pretty perfect to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's something magical about early mornings. How does something so simple become so profound as you get older? (Lots of simple things become a matter of interest as you grow older). Probably appreciate them more as you have more time to savor them when you're not rushing up and down stairs to chase babies, jumping in a car/train heading for work, or if you're overly distracted about what others think.

I think that there is a real hunger in the world for simplicity and I'm so thankful that you can appreciate it in a vapor of time on a quiet morning.

SARAH said...

Thank you Anonymous. I've been doing the morning thing every day since I wrote that and it's been pretty amazing. Some quiet time for me, coffee and God. Who could ask for more?