Tuesday, July 24, 2007

You know you're almost 30 when...

You're scheduling MRI and physical therapy appointments!
Yesterday I went to the doctor for my neck again and we've decided (she told me to) to get an MRI and then also start physical therapy. It seems like a lot for me to deal with. I'm sort of just going through the motions of what I need to do to feel better, but then I get freaked out because this is my spine and neck we're talking about. I really like my doctor though. She was saying yesterday that she is really big on "conservative medicine" meaning that she doesn't just jump to surgery. I like that because I'm way too scared to have surgery, never mind the fact that it would be on my neck! So, I called to schedule my MRI which is on Friday at 7am. The scheduler asked me if I'm claustrophobic and I said no. Then I thought for a second and realized that I'm pretty unsure in most elevator situations, as well as if I'm wrestling with someone and they hold my arms to where I can't move them. (Wrestling hasn't happened in a loooooooooooong time, but the thought of not being able to move my arms makes my heart palpitate). So, then I asked the scheduler, "what happens if I am a bit claustrophobic?" and she told me I'd need to get a sedative from the doctor. Valium, here I come! I'm not chancing how I'll feel and since I already have a couple of Valium left over from when my neck couldn't/wouldn't move, I think I'll just take the "high" road.
Physical therapy starts on Monday for an hour at a time and it's right down the street. They want me to strengthen the muscles around my neck to hopefully take the pressure off of the painful area. We shall see. I'll keep you posted. Please think of/pray for me on Friday-I'm a little scared :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi hun,
Just wanted to let you know that I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Take it easy,
xx Siobhan