Monday, November 10, 2008

WTF?!?

So, Gabe's car was stolen last night. It's crazy, I know. We've been having some serious prob's in our neighborhood with people breaking into cars (mine included on 10/29) and going through stuff. Usually the perp (caught some cop lingo today) enters the cars without leaving a mark. Then, on Thursday night our neighbor had her car broken into (literally, her window was smashed) and they stole her GPS. This morning, at 4:45am, Grace woke for a bottle. As I was feeding her, I thought to myself that I should look out the front window to see if I could catch any high crime in action. I noticed one of our neighbor's cars had their interior light on and I was trying really hard to see if anything was going on. Then I realized that the only reason I could see her car so clearly was because Gabe's car was totally missing! I felt like I wasn't thinking right, or quite awake, so I went upstairs and asked Gabe where he parked his car. In a very sleepy, froggy voice he said "in my spot" to which I replied, "it's definitely not there." So, the cops came and put an APB out for the missing X5. Gabe got a rental car and went to work assuring me that his car was well off to Baltimore to be put on a ship to China. {This really confused me at the time and still does- why does China want our BMW? Gabe wasn't in a frame of mind to sort that out for me and I think I'll just let it go} So, a few hours later, I get a call from the cop asking if it's an SUV or sedan. Then I get a call from another cop asking if we have any other children, "any teenagers who have keys to the car?" Teenagers!?! This guy met me in my pajama's holding one baby and feeding a 2 year old raisin toast. How old does he think we are and that would be quite an age gap between Maddie and our teenage felon. Finally a call came that said they found our car. Actually the previous owner had installed LoJack on it and so they located it that way (makes you want one for yourself?) It was found just a couple miles from our home, in a nice residential neighborhood and nothing was wrong with it. No forced entry, no wreckage, nothing. They did take all of Gabe's CD's (Phish, anyone?) and his AA chips (not of any monetary value, but definitely some major emotional value). So, that sucks, but that's really the worst of it. Oh, one more thing. Gabe has kept his spare car key in his glove box for a long time (not a great idea) and that is one other thing the perp took. So, while we do have the car back, we promptly drove it to the dealer and are having the locks changed. It was a long day, with a happy ending. We also purchased The Club so as to deter any more crimes from happening to our cars. Happy Monday :)

4 comments:

Laura said...

Wow that's so horrible!! Why would the idiot take his chips??!! That's so weird and sad... :( What a rough thing to have happen. I'm glad you do have the car back. I hope you don't run into anymore trouble with that again. :)

Anonymous said...

Ummm, this is nuts! What is going on with the car burglaries & thefts? And how crazy that you have been victims twice now. Glad the end turned out good, but what is the point of taking AA chips? Hope car troubles are over and that the cops put some extra patrols in your neighborhood with all the activity. Glad they are not interested in houses, and that you have a nice alarm system anyways. HOpe you guys are doing well and look forward to hanging out soon. Love, Lex

Unknown said...

This is a crazy story! I'm glad you have the car back though...

SARAH said...

Thanks Laura, Lex and Raina! It was crazy and now that it's been a few days, we're feeling much better. Still no news about the fingerprints, but we're not really expecting any. The neighbors are all on high alert now and we're all leaving our porch lights on at night and so far I haven't heard of any more crime. Hope you're all having a good week!